Monday 1 July 2013

Nothing Great is Easy


Lately, I consider myself very lucky. After some long, dry period, there is now again
W A T E R. 
In all its different forms: sometimes wavy, sometimes calm. 
But always there. 

After this day and my channel-qualifying swim in Dover Harbour





it is getting more and more

clear

in my head



that I want to become a more dedicated open-water-swimmer:

Swimming in great nature spots
with as little effort
but as much indulgence
and resilience as possible
is just far too attractive for me to be neglected any further in my life!



                                                                         I coupled up with two fantastic female swimmers today and it was just inspiring to swim alongside of them and watch them move so smoothly.
There was no fight, but just silent agreement in how to take the waves and how to bear the cold. 
So perfect. 
I loved the coldness, the intermittent harshness of the waves and the salt of the sea in my mouth.


When you swim for so long, your thoughts "chew" on everything that matters to you,
nearly endlessly.
I chewed on a conversation I just recently had and recalled it over and over again to remember each word and think about its meaning and my taking of it.
I chewed upon a musical piece I love playing at the moment.
And I chewed upon the salty taste of the sea´s water in my mouth while contemplating parts of ...


... the white cliffs of Dover when breathing to the right side and swimming parallel to the shore.
Over and over again.

When lucky, the swim can get very rhythmic and nearly meditative and I often experience that this empowers thinking from a very different and intense angle on common situations or problems.
It is transforming. At least as long as you are in the water ...




I would love to swim the channel one day.
Relay first.
And if some miracle mental and physical transformation happens I will also want to attempt a solo.